Gems for your Luck and Fortune
This site is a work of love focused on the beauty and wonders of Jyotish gems :)
Jyotish/a comes from the Sanskrit word jyotiṣa, or jyótis, meaning "light, heavenly body". It is otherwise known as Vedic astrology and has 3 branches: traditional astronomy, mundane astrology, and predictive astrology. Vedic astrology is different from Western astrology in that it uses the sidereal zodiac and adjustments are made for the vernal equinox.
9 main planets (actually, 7 planets and 2 lunar nodes) are studied in Vedic astrology. Each planet has specific influences on the 12 houses and it is believed that by wearing the gems of benefic planets found in the chart, it can strengthen their good influences.
Traditional procedure for picking and wearing Jyotish gems:
- First, get an accurate Vedic chart with gemstone recommendations. You may want to wear the gem for the Dasha period you are currently in if that planet is not malefic in your chart.
- Read up on the gemstones and planets, taking note of the auspicious times to purchase the gem, set it, and wear it, along with the mantra and rituals.
- Procure the gem from a reputable source. Make sure the gem is large enough and free of flaws (unless it's an emerald).
- Follow the directions for wearing the gem according to Vedic tradition (time, date, rituals, mantra).
- Wear the gem as much as possible.
Gemstones are powerful tools if used correctly! Use with caution and care!
Vedic astrology is very complex and astonishingly accurate. This website is intended to be a celebration of planetary gemstones, not a diagnostic tool or astrology service. Please seek the services of a reputable Vedic astrologer for your needs. Some resources are listed on the Reference page.
This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Quod bonum faustum felix fortunatumque sit!
All images and text © luckandfortune.com
Photographs of gemstones are from my personal collection.